Friday, April 13, 2012

Travel flashback: Legazpi City and Daraga, Albay (May 2011)

My trip to my beloved Pol’s home province Albay was very much last-minute. Pol had already booked a flight to Legazpi well in advance for himself to celebrate the Feast of San Vicente Ferrer in his barangay with his family. When his flight was coming near, his twin nieces suggested that I come with him. And since I had just gained freedom from my old job during that time, I had all the time in the world to have fun and it was a perfect time to visit because of the fiesta. I booked myself just a few days before the flight. It was my first time to ever visit his hometown, Legazpi City.

 

Day 1: Arrival in Legazpi City, fiesta time!

We arrived at Legazpi Airport on a cool morning. I was thrilled to see Mayon Volcano for the first time in my life and from our plane window!

A grand welcome by Mt. Mayon upon our arrival!

We then took a tricycle to Pol’s family home in Barangay Homapon, for a negotiated fee of PhP 150. When we arrived home, we were welcomed by Pol’s family and the twins greeted me in unison, “Ate Ella!” with hugs and kisses. Sweet! I had met Pol’s closest family members before when they visited him in Metro Manila, so Pol introduced me to his extended family afterwards.

The farm around the family house

Bonding with the twins!

There were many visitors in their house who celebrated the fiesta with the family. I was one of the visitors who enjoyed Kuya Win’s (Pol’s eldest brother) cooking!

I spent most of my first day at their home, indulging on delicious home cooking by Pol’s family and bonding with them especially the twins who never ran out of random stories to tell. Pol is a very close uncle to them, so they seized the day bonding with us until they ran out of energy and fell asleep on a very late hour of the night.


Day 2: Quick tour around Legazpi and Daraga

Our agenda for the day was a quick tour around Legazpi and Daraga with the twins. It was a light rainy morning and Pol was sure that I wouldn’t be able to have a full view of Mt. Mayon from Daraga Church and Cagsawa Ruins because of the weather. We still went ahead with the trip by commuting.

We first went to Daraga Church, or Parroquia Nuestra Señora de la Porteria (Our Lady of the Gate Parish). We walked a long steep way uphill to reach this beautiful church at the peak. Pol was right about the invisible view of Mt. Mayon. She probably wanted me to come back another day.

Daraga Church or Parroquia Nuestra Señora de la Porteria (Our Lady of the Gate Parish)

We next headed to Cagsawa Ruins, the place that had only been a postcard memory in my mind for so long. Again, I could hardly see Mayon. We even stayed longer in the hope that she might appear. We ate pansit bato in an eatery inside the park while we waited. Later, there was a bus of tourists who arrived, but they shared the same fate as mine. Mayon was still hardly seen. At least, the huge black boulders that had been spewed by the volcano in 1814 amazed me. I bought a small model of the Cagsawa Ruins for a take-home souvenir, made of Mt. Mayon’s volcanic ash.

Cagsawa Ruins (almost invisible view of Mt. Mayon)

Ideal postcard view of Cagsawa Ruins

At the request of the twins, we went to Albay Park and Wildlife where they had already been to several times. The twins love animals so much, and they reminded me of myself when I was their age and really read a lot about my favorite mammals. It was still a light rainy day and we were as if the only guests in the park. We enjoyed the park to ourselves and I found myself surprised to see a very cute mammal I had never seen and even known before, a coati!

Albay Park and Wildlife

A very cute coati!

There was however a sad part of the park that made my heart cry. It was a binturong or Palawan bearcat that seemed to have a severely infected eye. I suddenly remembered my past experiences with binturongs like the one who crossed a bamboo bridge above our heads at the Night Safari in Singapore, and even another one whom I got to carry at the Baluarte in Ilocos. They are very gentle creatures. I wish the caretakers and management of the park had already done something about this poor creature, as well as the other animals that might need medical attention.

Poor binturong :(

After our stroll at the wildlife, we got tired and hungry so instead of going to Lignon Hill where we might not have a chance of seeing Mayon in full view, we decided to go to Pacific Mall. But during our whole jeepney ride, I noticed that everywhere the jeepney went, Mt. Mayon was already in full view. I couldn’t believe how vast it was! Pol and the twins, who have been very much used to that view all their lives, were teasing me about my fixation towards her. But I just couldn’t take my eyes off that one big majestic view!

We dropped off at the old market place in front of Pacific Mall and there Mt. Mayon was, still standing in front of me. I just couldn’t get enough of her that I took a lot of photos. When I finally had enough, we went inside Pacific Mall to eat, play at Worlds of Fun where the twins habitually collect prize tickets, and then play as many bingo games until we could win. Unfortunately, there were always other players who shouted “Bingo” too early.

View of Mayon from the old market place in Legazpi

By late afternoon, we took a free shuttle ride from the old market place to Embarcadero de Legazpi to spend the rest of the day. Pol and I tried ziplining for the first time. I was very much nervous at first but when I was already suspended, it was a very enjoying ‘flight’ where once again, the whole beauty of Mayon was in sight. There were two zipline wires so Pol and I ziplined together at the same time. I want to come back again for more! Next time, I’ll have Pol take a photo of me while I’m already suspended and with Mt. Mayon in the background. I had to ask him to do it because since he is Bicolano, the view of Mt. Mayon is already ordinary to him so I would have to remind him to do it for me. And I’m pretty sure Embarcadero would have a lot more adventure-themed activities by that time. I’m so excited!

View of Mayon from Embarcadero de Legazpi

From the end of the zipline station, Pol and I walked back to the mall where the starting point of the zipline is and where the twins were waiting. But as we did so, I again took a lot of photos of Mt. Mayon from many different areas of Embarcadero.

Still can't get enough of Mayon!

We spent the rest of the day at the mall, where the twins enjoyed the amusement games and rides. We then had late afternoon snacks at Bigg’s Diner.

Leisure time with the twins

Wall at Bigg's Diner

Back at their home, we had Bicol Express and a whole lot more food for dinner! The twins were still energetic despite our whole day of walking so we spent our last night listening to their random stories and playing all the games we could think of until we all dozed off late in the night.


Day 3: Departure to Manila

Time went by fast and it was time to say goodbye to Pol’s family, especially to the twins. Our flight back to Manila was 10 AM, and the unpredictable weather thankfully did not cause any cancellation of that day’s flights.

Pol and I reached Legazpi Airport by tricycle at 9 AM. When I got to the waiting area of the departure wing, I once again marveled at the beautiful view of Mt. Mayon standing majestically in front of us passengers. On that day I told Pol that Legazpi Airport is the best airport I’ve ever been to, not because of the airport itself but because of the amazing view it has. In LGP, I’ll never get bored from waiting.

As Pol and I were on our way back to Manila, I carried with me pleasant memories of my short stay with Pol’s family. I am so thankful to hear from them that I am always welcome to visit anytime as I am already part of their family. And as of this writing, I am bearing the latest addition to the family, the very first Baby Boy Serrano at 38 weeks of gestation. Pol and I are excited to visit and bring Baby P to Legazpi this October!



No comments:

Post a Comment