Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A flashback on hair adventures

All those years prior to my sophomore college life had a boring hair profile. My hair’s only consolation was how my classmates noticed how healthy my hair was, and that was all. It’s plain straight, thick in volume, and shiny black. I was lucky to not be primarily included in the target market of shampoo commercials. The boring part of it was my failure to at least pay attention to it.



My first experience in hair color was in elementary on a summer break. They were just brown highlights and still boring. That was my first and last as a primary and secondary school student.

Fast forward to sophomore year, I somewhat grew tired of being too low profile. I never dressed up in school and I never wanted to because it is a daily effort. But I had the desire to not be passed us a boring person. There’s nothing wrong with looking boring, but at least once in my life I wanted to enjoy looking at myself in the mirror. Instead of spending hours trying to figure out what to wear every day, I chose a one-off fix to give my hair a party instead.

I had the wildest idea to have my hair dyed red, but unfortunately my stylist told me that I would not be getting the screaming red I wanted because my hair was too black, and that I would need to have my hair bleached. She resented on that idea because my hair was too healthy to murder by bleaching it. She just let me have my hair dyed the most red it could be, by exhausting their 100% hair color formula to the extreme, and assured me that it would still scream red when exposed to extreme light whether it is artificial lighting or natural sunlight. I was warned though that I would feel itchy during the application because of the formula’s 100% extreme strength. I had to take it. The shade of red used by the way was the “red” as it is, like that of an anime character.

Three stylists gathered around my head to dye literally each strand of my hair, and probably to shorten the time in doing so. After the dyeing, the hair steamer, and the shampooing, I was shocked at how red my hair was. The salon had pretty good lighting. There was not any single strand of black. Even my baby hair and patilya (sideburn) were not spared. My hair strongly smelled of ammonia, and I still felt very itchy. But there were no regrets at all because regardless of all the hassles, I super loved how I looked!

Sophomore year: Full head hair color (red), from Bench FiX
Junior year: Another full head hair color (red), courtesy of my Tito Boy’s family treat to Bench FiX, with full bangs (color already faded)
Senior year: Bob with full bangs, still with my hair color which already faded (slowly and stylishly) from red to brown

My hair adventure was only three years long, from sophomore year to senior year. I decided to stick to red on my second chance to have my hair dyed because I loved how it slowly faded from intense red to burgundy to mahogany to brown, you know the idea. It was sulit for me because those transitions took months, not just weeks.

I am looking forward to another hair adventure after I give birth and breastfeed, but this time not as a rebellious diva like how I tried hard to be as a college student in a liberal university. I’ve been working in a corporate setting for four years now and I know I should have my hair adventure toned down. Can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment