Monday, January 30, 2012

Relief and Gratitude

Dear Baby P,

September 1, 2011. Two days after we learned the news of your existence in my womb, I went back to our OB-Gyne, Dr. Meneses, this time in her clinic in NeoMedica. I was with your Mommy because your Papa was at work on a Thursday. I showed her the results of my ultrasound, urinalysis, CBC, and pap smear.

My CBC was okay despite my proneness to anemia. However, my urinalysis results showed that I had UTI, as seen also in my pap smear. Your fetal heart rate in our first ultrasound was 105 bpm which was low, where the normal rate is about 120 to 160 bpm.

Dr. Meneses prescribed cefalexin for my UTI. She assured me that it is a safe antibiotic for pregnant women. And then she prescribed Duphaston, a brand of dydrogesterone, to prevent your expulsion from my uterus. I was advised to take these medications three times a day for seven days before having a follow-up ultrasound scan to check on your cardiac activity. She did not ask me anymore to take another urinalysis test as long as I drink plenty of fluids and I do not hold my bladder from urinating.

In addition to her prescriptions, Doc advised me to start drinking milk for pregnant women, specifically Anmum Materna. I was relieved that my diet would be supplemented with everything you will need while you're in my womb. And for my part, I would have to improve my lifestyle, especially my eating and sleeping habits. I could not wait to see you again on our next ultrasound session.

September 14, 2011. It was a Wednesday when I came to NeoMedica from work. This was also my eighth day at work in my new organization, Deutsche Knowledge Services (a wholly owned subsidiary of Deutsche Bank Group) in Bonifacio Global City. It had been days since I finished my 7-day medication and I just could not wait to know how your fetal heart rate would be going. I had not notified yet my employer about my pregnancy because I wanted to make sure first that I would be having a smooth pregnancy, before having to worry about my employer.

I met Dr. Amosco, the same sonologist who scanned me for the first time. I was pretty sure that you would be alright, because I didn't feel anything wrong with myself, except for the nausea which is a normal symptom of pregnancy.

As Dr. Amosco scanned my belly, I finally saw you again in the TV screen. I saw the faster flicker in you which signalled your heartbeat, and Doc assured me that your fetal heart rate really did improve. I was amazed to see how big you have grown after just 14 days! You were just a round seed in our first ultrasound, and now Doc described you as a cute “Gummi bear” candy. Finally, I was smiling as I watched you.

As soon as I got the printed results with your latest image, I sent a text message to your Papa about the good news. Your FHR was from 105 bpm to 171 bpm! Although the normal rate is 120 to 160 bpm, your FHR may have temporarily increased because you were probably being active during the scan. I captured your image with my camera phone and sent it to your Papa who just wanted to see you right away even before he could come home.

Maybe you already know the drill. Your Papa shared your picture to the world via Facebook on that same day.


As I read through the likes and comments on your photo, and also private messages from friends, I was overwhelmed with joy that I came to tears. Your Papa was so proud of you, and our family and friends shared with our happiness. And now that your cardiac activity is kicking, I was finally ready to tell all my friends and my new employer about you and me.

Here's your Papa's message to you:


I could not remember when the exact date was when I told my team lead, my supervisor, and my manager, each of them in private, about my pregnancy. Each of them gave me a positive response, and I didn't expect to hear from them the word “blessing” but I did. This was the time when I realized that I was worrying for nothing. I came to see that God first blessed me with a new job before he made me learn about you growing in my womb. I was eager to stay with my new employer in the long term because I have colleagues there who used to be my colleagues in my previous job, and they have had better working experiences, benefits, and most especially work-life balance in this recent organization we are in.

I could not think of anything else to worry about. I would just have to focus on the two of us to be at our healthiest and happiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment