Thursday, March 22, 2012

Our Lamaze childbirth class with Rome Kanapi

Dear Baby P,

Last March 18, at the beginning of my 34th week of pregnancy, your Papa and I completed our series of childbirth classes under Lamaze instructor Rome Kanapi. We received a Lamaze certification from Ms. Rome wherein your Papa could be with me in the delivery room to coach me during my labor and delivery, and most of all for the both of us to witness your healthy birth.

Our Lamaze certificate

Our class picture!

I learned about such childbirth classes from the “Smart Pregnancy” special edition magazine your Papa gave me last Christmas of 2011. I was in the middle of my second trimester back then, and I didn’t know yet that it was possible to learn how to give birth the natural way by attending such classes. As much as possible, I wanted to eliminate the fears I had about giving birth and really wanted a normal delivery. I wanted a normal delivery because I have a vision of me completely awake during my labor and delivery, and being able to hold you in my arms right away after you would come out. And because most hospitals in the Philippines do not allow any companion of a birthing woman to be with her in the delivery room unless the companion would have a Lamaze certificate, I also wanted my vision of your Papa being with me in the delivery room to come true.

Mama and Papa doing an exercise in class

Your Papa and I learned so much about childbirth and made us really prepared for it. I somehow did not fear anymore about naturally giving birth and I am really pushing for it. But it would only be possible if both you and I would be in stable condition and not be in distress on the day you would come out, and if you would be in your perfect cephalic presentation and anterior position inside my womb. At first, my desire to have a normal delivery was to be pain-free with the help of epidural. But now that I have learned how I can embrace natural birth by using breathing and relaxation techniques, I now want to have a drug-free normal delivery. We also understood from our classes that there are instances when a delivery would really need an emergency caesarian procedure which we would need to accept, because more than whatever method of delivery, what matters most is that you would come out healthy.

A film showing in class on labor and normal delivery

Your uncle Jake and I were both born the caesarean method, and your Mommy was asleep during her delivery. She wasn’t awake to see our first squirm and hear our first cry, and I didn’t want the same to happen to me. I want to feel how nature really intended birthing women to feel, and that is a calm and peaceful birth without unnecessary medical interventions as much as possible. Even before I learned about the childbirth class your Papa and I attended, your Papa reminded me of all the natural births your Mama Myr, Mama Yin, and Tita Vicky had at home to encourage me that I should not be afraid of giving birth. And as the mantra Ms. Rome taught us, “Nothing lasts forever, even labor”.

Aside from lessons about a pregnant woman’s anatomy, exercises for pregnant women with their partners, breathing and relaxation techniques during labor and delivery, available medication options and delivery methods, and various examples of instances wherein caesarian delivery is unavoidable, we also learned about infant care which was the sole topic of our final session. I was glad to have signed up in this class where infant care was tackled because as a first-time parent, I was afraid of handling a very fragile infant that I might be doing things the wrong way. But with the help of our childbirth class and the wisdom from experience of your Mommy and Daddy who would be seeing you through, your Papa and I are now confident in becoming new parents.

Our final class session: Newborn care!

I know that childbirth is just the beginning for me and your Papa, and when you’re finally born, we would still need to learn more about parenting as you continue to grow up with more and more needs. And most of all, with guidance from our parents and from God, we would be having a lifetime practice on sound parenthood.



No comments:

Post a Comment