Friday, February 17, 2012

The dragon baby and my first new year as an expectant momma at Edsa Shangri-La

Dear Baby P,

Your Mommy, Daddy, uncle Jake and I, together with occasional visitors, always celebrated our New Year’s Eve at home. Every year we decorate the dining tables with twelve kinds of round fruits, we scatter chocolate coins and real coins around the house, and we turn all the lights and appliances on at home. We only made loud noises and never used firecrackers, because we’re contented with watching our neighbors light up and display their colorful fireworks.



But for the New Year of 2012, I wanted to celebrate the New Year in a more relaxing environment. I feared that you and I might get stressed and you might go deaf because of the loud shocking noises of exploding firecrackers. I then decided to search for hotels that offer New Year’s Eve packages. I asked permission from your Mommy and Daddy first, and I was glad they agreed.

My initial plan was to book hotel rooms for one night for December 31, and a New Year’s Eve dinner. After searching for hotels around Makati and the rest of Metro Manila, I chose Edsa Shangri-La in Mandaluyong because your Daddy wanted it to be as near from our house as possible. I was able to secure the hotel rooms and the dinner reservation as early as the first week of December.

Deluxe king bed

As the New Year went closer by weeks, I figured that it would be best to give your Mommy and Daddy a luxurious treat right before you would come into this world and be the sole center of my world and attention. I decided to book a spa treatment package for your Mommy and Daddy as a Christmas gift to them. I asked permission from them first so that they would know immediately and they wouldn’t have to visit their patron spa in the meantime. They agreed, and I went to the hotel’s spa called “CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La” for consultation and booking. I chose the spa’s four-hour face and body package for your Mommy and Daddy and it was to be done in the couple’s room. I was given a full tour of the spa’s facilities and because pregnant women are not advised to receive a massage (other than prenatal massage), I suddenly felt envious because of the luxurious treatment your Mommy and Daddy would be getting!

My tour of the couple's room at CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La

Fast forward to December 31, the last day of the year 2011,  your Papa, Mama, Daddy and I enjoyed our stay at the Shang. I saw how happy and relaxed your Mommy and Daddy looked after their spa treatment, and we were very much satisfied with the variety of food on our New Year’s Eve dinner at H.E.A.T. Restaurant. We capped off the night watching fireworks from our hotel room window until midnight.

Me, Mommy and Daddy after their luxurious 4-hour spa session

My New Year's Eve buffet dinner at H.E.A.T. Restaurant

Desserts!

View of fireworks from Mommy and Daddy's room

The next day, the very first day of the year 2012,  we started the morning with a sumptuous buffet breakfast. After we checked out at 12 noon, we were still too full to have lunch so we slept throughout the day as soon as we got home.

My buffet breakfast

The late afternoon came and it was time for us to go to church and hear the year’s first Sunday mass. In church, I particularly thanked God for the year 2011 that has passed, where our family has gone through the year without any mishaps. Most of all, I thanked Him for having you as our greatest gift in our family, and prayed that you would become a healthy, smart and happy baby.

Your Papa and I are very excited for the year 2012 because this is your year of birth, and also the Year of the Water Dragon. The Chinese believe that the Dragon is the most auspicious animal in the Chinese calendar, and you’re a Dragon baby! Your great grandfather is actually pure Chinese, so I still somewhat find you being a Dragon baby relevant. But despite what zodiac animal this year has, you will still be our most precious lucky charm, Baby P!


No comments:

Post a Comment