Saturday, February 4, 2012

Music scene flashback: Xaymaca nights

My college days were the active days of me being a party-goer. While I love listening to all types of music, I also love to dance. Xaymaca was one of those venues that offered substantial music, a chance to dance to the beats, plus a feeling of being free-spirited. It gave life to reggae as well as other related genres every night through live performances and not just through the 1-hour Thursday program “Dread at the Control” of now-defunct NU 107.

With Vic Facultad of Indio I


My first time in Xaymaca was on my birthday in 2005, where it was a night with Brownman Revival. I celebrated with Vivaca, my group (barkada) since high school.

From then on, I had been there a few more times with anyone who would think of going there, mostly out of impulse. That was how different the vibe was from any other places to drink and have fun. We have met different kinds of people, and have seen how they had come and gone in the lives of my friends whom they had met.

Xaymaca was also something my husband and I had in common in our early dating days, even before we met each other. This is another reason why Xaymaca will always be special to me. This is where we had danced to the groove of those I had witnessed live like pre-commercial BrownmanRevival, Coffeebreak Island, Collie Herb, Hemp Republic, Peace Pipe, the legendary Indio I, and many more great musicians.

One of our dating days in Xaymaca
Pol & Vic

The Philippine reggae scene will still be alive, and I am hoping that despite those that Xaymaca would be operational again, just like ClubDredd. Thank God there's still 70's Bistro!

1 comment: