Monday, February 20, 2012

Music scene flashback: Backstreet Boys in Manila (Feb 27, 2010)

Yes, I have a history of being Backstreet babe! My active days of being a fan was from their self-titled debut album release (in 1996) where I was just nine years old, up to their third album Millennium (1999 to 2000). When I say I have been musically inclined as early as childhood, pop was no exception. I still know by heart all the lyrics of the songs in their first three albums. But during the era from their fourth to their latest album to date, I had gone away from the pop scene and explored less mainstream kinds of music in my teenage years. But I still am a proud Backstreet girl because of all the boy groups that had come and gone, BSB still stands strong!
 
Backstreet Boys in Araneta Coliseum

I was touched to hear from my childhood and fellow-BSB fan friends about the Boys’ third coming to Manila. I was already earning by then so I didn’t have any excuse not to come with them and buy VIP seats. I took Pol with me because I wanted him to watch BSB live with me, as BSB was a special part of my childhood.

The only sad part is, my favorite Backstreet Boy Kevin is no longer part of the group. So during the concert, while my friends and the whole audience were busy screaming and singing along as the boys performed, I borrowed my friend’s camera and got close to the stage to take really close shots of them. Each of my friends has her own favorite Backstreet Boy, so I took individual shots of the boys.

AJ

Brian

Howie

Nick

During short breaks, there were short clips from famous movies where each of the boys were inserted and acted as if they were the lead characters. The films were funny! Howie was in “The Fast and the Furious” spoof where the scene was Vin Diesel’s character conversing with him in a race car. AJ was Brad Pitt’s Tyler Durden character in the movie “Fight Club”, where the story was spoofed into Backstreet Boys Fan Club. Brian was a funny fairytale prince in the movie “Enchanted”, and Nick was Neo in the spoof of “The Matrix”. We were really very much entertained!

I realized that the boys had gone more than ten years older ever since my active fan girl days. But they could still dance while singing! I was amazed by the crowd too because I am aware that the Backstreet Boys did have a huge fan base in the Philippines since the late nineties and like me and my friends, they all still stick around. I still haven’t lost hope that I would see Kevin if ever the boys would return, based on Kevin often being a surprise guest in the current lineup’s US performances. There are no more new boybands today, only reunions of formerly existing boybands, and instrument-playing kids claiming to be a band but actually sound like boybands. But the Backstreet Boys are still here, the best male vocal group for me, probably next to Boyz II Men for some. Please, Backstreet Boys, come back to Manila with Kevin!




No comments:

Post a Comment