Thursday, February 2, 2012

Your Papa and Mama's Christian Wedding

Dear Baby P,

Everything was going well with my early weeks of pregnancy and my situation at work, and I was free enough to help your Papa in preparing for our simple wedding. We were initially planning to have a civil wedding which required less time for preparation, compared to a church wedding. We wanted the wedding to push through in October 15 so that the visit of your Papa’s family from Bicol would conveniently be followed by the long planned Hong Kong trip starting October 17 with Mama Myr, Ate Che and the twins. We had a vision of having a church wedding when your Tito Wiwi comes home from Saudi a few years from now.



One of the requirements to obtain a marriage license was for marrying persons below 24 years of age to attend a marriage counseling seminar and a family planning seminar conducted in the city hall. Your Papa and I attended these seminars, and we actually learned a lot. We were able to discover that your Papa and I had a common outlook towards building our family, which made us clear of any possibility with conflicts. We became more prepared and enlightened in dealing with any family problems which may arise. I was also confident with how your Papa and I are going to be as a couple because in the five years that we had known and loved each other, we continued to grow stronger together. We have been through the best and the worst, and have always been there for each other. We have a different kind of connection that I never thought I would ever find. I really felt that your Papa was God’s greatest gift to me, before we had you.

A few weeks after completing our requirements, we were all ready. We learned that in a civil wedding, it is the judge who sets the date, not the couple. We also had a venue in mind, and learned that a civil wedding can only happen in the judge’s sala. We then decided to have a Christian wedding, which would be solemnized by a reverend. We chose UP Diliman as the venue, because this was where your Papa and I first met. We wanted the ceremony to be in Quezon Hall overlooking the Oblation statue, however the admin declined our request. We then chose UP Lagoon, which had a lush green setting.


The ceremony was attended exclusively by our families and my best friends. It was short and light, but there were emotional moments. The reverend asked me and your Papa to have a short message for your grandparents. Your Papa was the first to speak. He basically thanked your Mama Myr for the love and support she and your Papa Big had given him, and then he made a short message for your Mommy and Daddy. He promised to them that he would take care of you and me. When it was my turn, I first thanked your Mommy and Daddy for being the most supportive parents they could be despite the fact that I have grown old enough to look after myself. I was in tears because I know it was hard for them to let me go and give their only daughter’s hand to the man she loves. And I also know that it is time for them to take a break from being hands-on as nurturing parents and focus on their own lives and happiness, but they still take care of me and your uncle Jake at their very best and for as long as they still could. I told them that I wanted to be like them, as that kind of parent to you. Finally, I thanked your Mama Myr for having another son (who is your Papa) despite her late age during that time, and that if not for her and Papa Big, I never would have met your Papa whom I love so much. I also vowed to her that I would take care of your Papa just like how your Mama Myr took care of him.

The emotional atmosphere became a lighter one when your Papa and I were finally proclaimed by the reverend as husband and wife. I was 12 weeks pregnant, and was the happiest woman on that day. For your Papa and me, our hearts have been married for five years even before it was solemnized and put in contract.

Taken by Bien Dumaua


The wedding was very simple but it was full of happiness. One of the best things I had seen in this small event was the instant bond among the relatives of your Papa and mine. I knew that they would all get along well together, and that is one special thing that I am very thankful to God for, and is something that your Papa and I are proud of in our marriage.

With our families and closest friends (photo by Hanzel Botin)

I was very thankful to God on that day, and to all our families and friends who witnessed that special day in my life with your Papa. Your Papa and I are still planning to have a Catholic wedding where you would participate, to celebrate our union with God. It is also what your Mommy dreamed of for me, and it is going to be a bigger event. We will be waiting for you to grow and be able to walk before that happens!

With Mr. Manuel Morato at Jade Valley Restaurant (taken by Konnie Cafirma)



3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Nice blog :-) We're planning to have a civil wedding by 2016 but as early as now i'm looking for possible venues where we can hold both the ceremony and reception. Pero nabasa ko rito na sa civil pala dapat gawin ang ceremony sa sala ng judge. I just would like to know kung paano po kayo nakakuha ng service ng reverend? How much po ang fee? Can you recommend one for us? My fiance is Christian and i'm Catholic. Thanks so much and God bless. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Check out this link, sila nagprovide ng reverend for us, si rev. Romeo. :) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heart-focus-event-wedding-management/134211509984805?sk=info

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the response. :-) i will check the website you mentioned. Grabe, akala ko ang simple wedding is less stressful than a grand one. Pero almost same lang pala. :-) i'm looking for balay kalinaw as our venue for ceremony and reception. Di ko lang makita sa mga blog sites if they have an accredited caterer. Gusto sana namin buffet eh. Would you happen to know that info? Thanks so much and God bless. :-)

      Delete