Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day flashback: a home spa treatment

I wanted to show Pol how much I appreciated everything he did for me after more than a year of us being together, and I wanted to do it on Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day 2008 was our second V-day together. I am the kind who always preferred to create personalized gifts rather than buy something ready-made for anyone even if it were better. This time, I was inspired to surprise him with a personalized spa treatment for face, body and foot, courtesy of me only.


First, I watched instructional videos of basic facials and massages. I was already familiar with them because I used to regularly go with my mom to spas. The instructional videos gave me more details where the instructors explained why each step was being done, and how the therapist should communicate with her client. These enabled me to write down my own actual steps in providing facial treatment and body massage to my very special client.

And then, also based on the instructional videos, I bought all the necessary materials I needed for the facial and massage by getting everything from the health & beauty section of a department store. They actually didn’t cost much and they can still be used regularly.

Lastly, the bulk of the work is to set up the home spa and to provide the services to my very special client. I also didn’t forget to wear my plain pajamas to make me look like I was wearing a uniform of a spa therapist.

Me as a spa therapist in uniform-like pajamas

Here are some tips and what I actually did in setting up a low-cost home spa:

* PLACE
ü  General cleaning!!!
ü  Rearrange the place into a relaxing view for the client by clearing out all unnecessary stuff (basically taking them all out of the client's view and keeping them in one 'dumping' corner; immovable stuff may be covered with a clear cloth or blanket)
ü  Rearrange the table, bed, and spa equipment in favor of the client's optimum relaxation and the therapist's proper ergonomics

A clean and peaceful room setup

* MOOD
ü  Choose the right combination of scented oils and scented candles
ü  Dim lighting in a relaxing color (ex. combine red and blue cellophane on ceiling light), accompany it with rose petals and small tealight candles scattered on the floor
ü  Make a personalized playlist for every session (facial, massage, foot spa), balanced playlist (alternate songs of mainstream, new age, classical, nature sounds, oriental folk, etc.)

Scented candles and petals on the floor,
spa products, computer for the relaxing music

Song playlist

Facial mask and cucumber

Because I don’t have a facial steamer, I used the below basic home facial steps:
 
1. Pre-cleansing (lukewarm water)
2. Cleansing (basic cleanser, facial massage)
3. Exfoliating (facial scrub)
4. Facial mask (mask sheet, masque cream, or homemade recipe) and eye mask (cucumber)
5. Blackhead removal (mechanical blackhead remover or t-zone strips)
6. Toner for closing the pores
7. Moisturizing (facial cream)

For the body massage, I had a cheat code on the steps I did based on various online sources.

Sources I used for Swedish massage techniques:
* How to Give a Swedish massage video (Melissa Brown)
* Elements of Swedish massage video (Kimberly Mann)
* How to do a Swedish massage video (Tunishia Woods)

Videos for special massage techniques for each body part (James Orsi):
* A Basic Guide to Massaging the Body (legs shown as example)

Fortunately, I have a foot soak machine, so here are the basic home foot spa steps:

1. Cleaning (manual foot soak and foot massage)
2. Electric foot massage (in warm water w/ essential oils and salts, 10 mins)
3. Exfoliating (foot scrub, foot massage, pumice stone scrubbing)
4. Foot lotion (after rinsing and drying)
5. Foot spray

I was already in his unit in the afternoon when I started setting up everything. I told him not eat too much before he would go home because I told him I prepared dinner. Truth is, I only cooked canned chowder which was very light so that he wouldn’t be throwing up during the massage. When he got home, I was surprised because he brought a bottle of wine. I think he was thinking I set up a candlelight dinner for us. But instead, I handed him a gift certificate I created, entitling him to a full spa therapy package.

A personalized (fake) gift certificate

I did the usual things in preparing a client for therapy. I gave him his robe and instructed him on how he would participate. He just had to do as I said, like lying on his back or chest. We were just at the facial therapy part of the treatment when he told me he would never forget that night. He seemed overwhelmed.

I felt happy with my work when he looked so relaxed with eyes closed during the massage session. My cheat sheet from the instructional videos did not disappoint. In the middle of the session, he told me he wanted to blog right away about the VIP treatment he was getting. Massaging a person for one hour was surely tiring for me but his satisfaction was all worth it.

Finally, it was time for the foot spa. He hesitated at first because I would be washing his feet as if I were a slave, but I insisted. I love scrubbing off dead skin cells! LOL

To end the whole session, I advised him to not take a bath on that same day, as what spa therapists would tell their clients. Of course he already knew that. I just wanted to be serious and really in professional character. The relaxation he had and the pleasant tiredness I felt instantly made us both fall into deep sleep. Good thing I was already in my pajamas.

As he had wanted, he blogged in our Multiply the next day about how he felt so babied on our V-day. Even after many years, this is still his top most unforgettable gift I had given him! J



No comments:

Post a Comment